- We want to do it. (that ties right into the "its fun" reason.)
- Social status. (admit it. Everybody wants to be in with the best football player in school. Don't most girls envy his girlfriend?)
Valary-Mac's perspective on Courtship: A more mature way to get to know one of the opposite gender with more moral, serious, long-term relationship.
Why some court:
- To ease gently into a new kind of relationship with the opposite gender (A relationship beyond childhood guy/girl friendships.)
- To form accountability around a relationship to guard against emotional blindness.
- To get to know someone with possible intent for marriage.
- Protect purity before marriage.
- Daters usually start young, as young as 5-6, (yikes; scary; bonkers) and Courtship starts as young as when one feels ready to start seeing another person with intent of possible marriage in the near, or farther future.
- Dating usually involves physical contact, and a somewhat quick (if at all) meeting of parent and child's date before being whisked off alone (usually). Those Courting are carefully looked over by both parents, older relatives, and sometimes other church members (which would be a little weird, I admit, but very, very safe), and usually none to minimal physical contact.
- Dating, both guy and girl put on their best act (goodness, I would too, how could you help but do it) when on their date. Those who court get to observe their "significant friend" in many situations: around their family and siblings when they are being annoying; on missions trips when working with others; reacting to things they don't like; etc...
Now just a few interesting, and completely unbias facts: (if you have more, from either side of the argument, please comment below, providing the source of your info, and using language appropriate for a young lady's blog.)
- 8 out of 10 single people think the first kiss is a good indication of how the rest of the relationship will be.
- On average a single person - male or female - will go out on 100 dates before getting married.
- 34% of women see a deposit on a home as a greater sign of commitment than an engagement ring (Woolwich survey)
- The most common time for breakups is around three to five months.
- On free dating sites, at least 10% of new accounts are from scammers.
- The online dating industry generates $1.8 billion per year and the matchmaker/dating coach business generates $260 million per year in the United States
- During the early twentieth century, dating evolved out of a courtship ritual where young women entertained male callers under the watch of a chaperon. By the 1960s and 1970s, “hooking up” increasingly replaced dating, mainly because the age at which people marry for the first time had begun creeping up.
- An average couple will kiss on their second date.
- Each year approximately one in four adolescents reports verbal, physical, emotional or sexual abuse.
- Dating violence among their peers is reported by 54% of high school students.
- 1 out of 10 sex offenders use Internet to meat victims
- 1 out of 3 couples sleep together on their very first date.
- 70% of raped women knew or dated their offenders.
- About 51% of couples who dated end up divorced.
- Less than 1% of couples who courted each other get divorced.
"For me personally, courtship would more follow God's very serious guidelines for getting a good, godly husband, and saving myself completely for him. That's my decision, and I have prayed much about it and researched. I am not trying to tell you that dating is evil! I'm saying: 'here are some facts and my opinions - start praying about it.'"
Just For Fun:
Q: How will you ever get to know any guys?
A: I get to know more guys much better when I look at them for who they are: guys that I'm not in love with.
Q: What if he isn't cute?
A: Is that really a question that needs answering? No. But I will. Bluntly.
Just because I choose not to date doesn't mean I'm blind and stupid. ;) Courtship takes more thought than dating, and hopefully you would look for God's will in your dating as much as I would in my courtship. Looks don't account for everything!
Q: What if your really old when you get married?
A: I would rather marry older and know that I got the right guy, than marry younger and not know for sure. Please tell me that you agree! And most couples who court are, surprisingly, not very old at all!
You may also be interested in / Related posts:
|Caught in the clutches of... love?|
|Caught in the clutches of...|
love? Follow up