Friday, April 15, 2011

Blink - it's scary

I'm discombobulated.
Majorly.
Blink
I've been reading the book blink by Ted Dekker, one of the most intelligent and talented Christian writer today in his genre.
His main character is Seth.  Seth Border, to be exact, and he is genius... or, rather, is supposed to be, I think.
I'm sweating.
And its not just because its turning from winter to spring in a seemingly quick fashion, but because, well, Seth isn't very smart.
OK, I said it.
Nothing against Ted Dekker, and sorry, Seth.  Also, I understand that starting out with a character who doesn't have anything to learn is like changing a perfectly good light bulb with a dead one.  Yes, Seth is in error - contrary, or perhaps because of, his brilliant mind - 5 to 8 times greater than mine - and he will hopefully learn the truth in the end.  If he doesn't, the reader will.
But in his braininess, I can see right through him.  His arguments are shallow.
I start to read about his "confirmed truths", (confirmed by himself, that is) and know where he is going, skim through to the last word, asses what he is saying, why he is saying it, and override his statement and prove a different point he didn't see, and come to a conclusion using his very own method of reasoning.  One that makes sense.

Ted Dekker
Its weird.
All the things he says, (well, most all the things - I don't think I could see myself solving an long algebraic problem in half a second, though I have come up with my own algebraic formulas of conversion,) I can see myself saying, only in more precise measures, and expounding on important points.
Well...
You see, the only reason I don't do that is because it would take too long.  I just keep silent, thinking, thinking, thinking.  Then when beddy-bye-time rolls around, I grab my diary, but writing takes a very long time when your brain has been accumulating things all day.  I skip that part of communication too with myself.
You think I'm crazy.
I think I am too.
I was almost afraid to post this for fear of being taken to an asylum. Or that someone would take it wrong, and think I was trying to tell everyone I'm brilliant.
I'm not.
I don't really know what I am.
Maybe I should finish reading the book! 
Yeah, that's a good idea.  Maybe I'm just dreaming that I'm smart.  I've actually done that before.
Hmmm...

No comments: