Thursday, April 26, 2012

Not tame, not safe, but good

An amazing song by Rebecca St James - lion.  I love it because of its beautiful, haunting sound, and methodical, poetic lyrics, full of meaning.  As for being full of meaning, let me explain. 
 I love the deepness that C.S. Lewis paints into Aslan.  What makes the great novels is his deep sense of theology.  When first learning about this lion, Aslan (God figure), she hears different things from different sources.  The thought of working for, or even meeting, a lion, is a bit fear-inspiring.  "Is he a tame lion?" she asks.  "Oh no, He is not tame," comes the reply, "but He is good." (in their wonderful English accents ;)  My God is untamed and untamable, but good, flawless, and ever-right.  What an amazing combination!  Unleashable, unpredictable, and trustworthy.  And what about safe?  God is not safe, nor is His plan for His children.  But it is good, and it will truly prosper us in what is right and wholesome, and what is really truly for our good.  Anything less, and we would not be fulfilled, I believe.  What happens when we do what God wants for us?  We spread unpopular truth that "divides bone and marrow" - and are ridiculed, marked as intolerant lunatics, and in many places worldwide tortured and killed.  Yet we are called to practice the wild and impossible - to love these enemies, and to pray for those who persecute us.
 And to the largeness of this God of mine.  He is the Lion and the lamb.  His Spirit was shown as a dove, and He chose a gentle breeze amid thunder, hurricanes and earthquakes to speak to His good servant.  Yet His throne room is woven into the universe, and the earth is His foot stool. He breathes stars, and knits together the offspring of the world.  Yet he confines Himself to the hearts of man. 
 "Aslan!" Lucy cries, when she again meets her beloved friend, some time later. "You have grown!"  "No," he replies in all tenderness. "I am always the same, but I appear larger every time you grow."  I love this!  God is massive - larger than we could ever know - yet He makes Himself known to us as He is, though we can only see glimpses and shafts of His beautiful and terrifying face.  As we grow in our knowledge and in our relationship with Him, we see more of Him.  The Dove to a Lamb, and then the Lion.  The God that is One, and always the same, and absolutely massive; uncorrupted.

Watch the music video here


Lyrics:

Beautiful and terrifying
Mysterious
That's what I call You
I'm curious about You
I'm scared and not sure that You are safe
But Your eyes seem to say that You are good

Chorus
This is not a dream that I'm living
This is just a world of Your own
You took me from all that I knew
Shown me how it feels to hope
With You with me, facing tomorrow together
I can learn to fly
Feels like I'm living in a lion's mouth, but the lion is (an angel)

Wise eyes, You see the core of me
Your gentleness melts me
And now I know that words cannot describe
The power that I feel when I'm with You

Chorus
This is not a dream that I'm living
This is just a world of Your own
You took me from all that I knew
Shown me how it feels to hope
With You with me, facing tomorrow together
I can learn to fly
Feels like I'm living in a lion's mouth, but the lion is

Peace and power, love forever
Who am I to stand before You?
I am speechless
But in my weakness
You are here and all is well

You took me from all that I knew
Shown me how it feels to hope
With You with me, facing tomorrow together
I can learn to fly
Feels like I'm living in a lion's mouth, but the lion is (an angel)

Chorus
This is not a dream that I'm living
This is just a world of Your own
You took me from all that I knew
Shown me how it feels to hope
With You with me, facing tomorrow together
I can learn to fly
Feels like I'm living in a lion's mouth, but the lion is (an angel)

is an angel

No comments: