Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Because I care...


 To put it bluntly, I guess you could say that part of my job description is to care about people.  On any given day I'm in the shop, a dozen or more persons will come in and share personal health details, asking for advice.  They don't all bare their problems, and I get everyone from completely trusting to overly cynical, but they are there, and asking for my help.  At first this was awkward, but this is something I have come to absolutely love, and I'm not even a big "people person."  This may be my job, but I only have my job because I care.  I get funny looks when I converse with people I'm waiting in line with at a busy store.  One part of it is that people are incredibly interesting - the other is that I really care.  I used to care very little, and to tell the truth, I'm not a very sensitive person; it's safe to say I won't tear up - even at the worst sob story.
 So why do I care? I truly attribute it all to God.  It's humbling to think about - that on my own I'd be stone cold - and I guess that all the grace God has shown me I feel like I should try and show others.  They deserve it so much more than I!  And believe me, I've encountered quite a few grumpy and "undeserving" people!  My friends stuck by my even when I was completely absorbed with my own situation.  They genuinely cared, and even though I honestly didn't care at the time, I am so very grateful now.  I value my friends!!!  I've been so blessed, and not everyone else has been, so if all I get is 10 minutes to help them get their health problems under control, I hope I can make some sort of difference.  Even my job is an incredible gift from God, and not everyone can say that with enthusiasm.
 Why do I care?  Because He cared about me!

1 John 4:19
"We love because He first loved us."

No comments: