Saturday, August 31, 2013

My opinion on Breast Cancer "Awareness"

OK, I hope I don't offend anyone, and I'm pretty sure this will take plenty of people out of their comfort zone, but I have something to say about Breast Cancer Awareness. For October, ladies everywhere are hanging their braziers on their front porches, dying their hair pink, wearing explicit messages, or even going topless.
First of all, I cannot imagine for one second that anyone in America doesn't know about Breast Cancer. Like they're going to see a pink ribbon shirt and say "seriously? I had no idea. Tell me more."
Secondly, do you really want everyone who sees your statement to think of a chest? (and most likely yours, at that)
I'm NOT trying to be insensitive to a very real problem that is plaguing women. It's an awful tragedy that has taken too many wonderful women, some whom I have known personally. But if you want to make their lives count, live in their memory by helping others and making a positive difference in the world. If you want to do something about the many who will no doubt get Breast Cancer, invest in science and healthy living.
Empowering women doesn't come from flashing yourself or showcasing your undies. That, my fellow females, is demeaning.
Anyway, that's my opinion. Take it or leave it.

No comments: