Friday, September 13, 2013

Review - VegaSport sugar free Energizer

I like the berry flavor better than
the lemon-lime flavor
 A little over a year ago I took up running again, and have been running at least once every week since then. Working within my busy schedule, I usually get up at 6 to run 3-4 miles (I'm a distance runner, not speed), and even though I'm thoroughly awake by the time I finish my workout, I sometimes find it hard to work up the energy for an optimal running experience. I stay away from energy drinks at all costs, and rarely drink coffee. Eating healthfully and drinking lots of water and tea gives me more than enough energy to complete my day, but I needed an extra boost in the morning.
 I was aware of several great work-out energizers, but didn't want to load my body with sugar first thing in the morning. I looked up VegaSport, but couldn't justify all the sugar their products have, even though it is natural sugar, and their formulas were the best I had seen. That's why I was so happy when I saw that they had come out with a stevia-sweetened energy powder that was only 5 calories per packet, and mixed easily in water. This morning I got up at my usual time, but had trouble motivating myself to really take off. I mixed the Acai Berry flavor into 6 oz of filtered water and gulped it down. It did have a slightly mineral taste, but was surprisingly tasty compared to most I had tried. I stretched, put on my running shoes, and took off! Our house is half way up on two mile hill that can be pretty steep at times, and I decided to take my usual route - "up and around." I literally sprinted one mile uphill! I felt great! I didn't have time for my usual 3 1/2 miles because I worked extra early, so I did 2, but instead of getting a drop in my energy levels, I kept my energy up all day.
 I appreciate that it doesn't give me a "buzz" or an energy "serge," but helps me keep my stamina and concentration. I'm also caffeine sensitive, and this didn't bother me, so I'm happy about that too!

 My rating: 5 out of 5 stars!

 Note: I've been conditioning my leg muscles for a while, so this supplement only gave me the energy and stamina. It didn't make me suddenly fit, or pump me up.

No comments: