Thursday, June 5, 2014

I'm attracted to the heart

 Most women have something specific they're looking for in a man. And in Christian circles, it's been encouraged for girls to actually make a list of requirements for potential beaus to measure up to. (which can be dangerous, because nobody looks like Chris Hemsworth, loves like Ryan Gosling, has the character of Tim Tebow, is as rich as Jay-Z, and sings like Hugh Jackman, all in one) I must admit I have written up such lists, though they really only contained character traits and such. But the more I've observed the opposite gender (and the more the opposite gender has observed me :/ ) I've come to realize that I really don't have a certain stereotype of guys I like. In fact, I've become much less legalistic when it comes to what I do and don't want. I don't care if a man has been to college, what job he has, or what he looks like. His hobbies are his own, so as long as he's passionate about something, I don't mind what it is, or isn't.
Is he a woodsman? A hipster? A nerd? Good for him.
Is he a businessman? A blue-collar worker? A DJ? As long as he's a hard worker.
Has he been to Yale? To Moody? To a tech school? The question is, does he pursue knowledge and wisdom?
Is he clean-cut? Does he have tattoos? Does he wear skinny jeans... or carpenters? As long as he's reconciled his appearance with the Lord.
Does he listen to hymns? To jazz? To heavy metal? I'm cool with that if he's able to worship God through them.
 Please don't misinterpret this as me being desperate and willing to take any man that comes along. In fact, it's just the opposite. I've developed a deeper standard: a good heart. (as well as being a Christian, that's already been established.) Let me explain: more recently - because I'm getting older and therefore eligible - there have been a couple potential suitors interested in me that I've had to evaluate, and make a decision based upon that whether I said yes or no to pursue a relationship with them. Because of all the time, thought, and prayer put into these decisions, I've really had to ask myself, "what is it that GOD requires in a man," and not "what do I think I need/want in a man."  Taken back to Micah 6:8 I found my answer: "He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" That's it! It says nothing about hairstyles, hobbies, and personal preferences! So what is on my man-quality-list now? Love God, love others (the first two commandments, Matthew 22:37-39), do justice, love kindness, walk humbly with God.
 Don't get me wrong, I don't expect perfection. No one is perfect. If I were to come across a perfect man, he wouldn't want me, because I'm not perfect! But the man who loves God and strives to model after him, it will motivate him to love others before himself. But that means I, yes me, should be striving for the same thing. I must love God before I love any man; love God more than I love anyone. And not try to "work the system" by taking things into my own hands.

 So, girls, let me give you that list, again:
  1. Love God with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength
  2. Love others as yourself
  3. Do Justice
  4. Love Kindness
  5. Walk Humbly with God

No comments: